This 2018 the glow trend is not going to allow to be moved from its throne. One more year, we find that a luminous, dewy and youthful skin with touches of strobing is still the most wanted look, in and out of red carpets and runways. It’s that shine that lets light come through your skin and that totally gives you that ‘healthy glow’ ‘I don’t need make-up’ effect.
What is the glow?
First, it came the contouring, enhancing your features by using make-up products to strategically darken your face in the areas that suit your bone structure better to achieve a more sophisticated look. Then, it came the strobing, where you did the exact opposite thing: highlight your face in the areas where light would naturally hit your features to make them look more defined, giving your whole look an ethereal, fairy-like appearence that boosted your face structure in a much more dreamy, elegant way than contouring.
Now, the glow has taken it to the next level. Instead of taking care of just some areas of your features, its purpose is to give your whole face a radiant look, mixing make-up products with efficient cosmetics to make your skin shine like it was naturally that luminous. The result is a dewy finish that gives the impression that you don’t need to wear, and even that you are in fact not wearing, any make-up. The skin looks healthy, shining, enhaced and ready to bite!
How to achieve it?
Make-up brands and cosmetic houses are starting to launch specific products that are formulated to give you this glow look, but you can also use a few tips and tricks to achieve it without having to buy any of these (or to see if you like how it looks on you before buying them!). You can use other products that you already have in your make-up stash, pay attention!
- Applying foundation with some liquid highlighter: Liquid options of luminizers like L’Oreal Liquid Highlighter can be mixed with your foundation to give to your complexion that extra glowy look. If your foundation alone seem a bit dull, don’t hesitate to mix it with a drop or two of your favorite liquid highlighter. Mix it well before applying it to your face (I recommend using a sponge or a beauty blender). Also, you can apply these drops directly to your face in specific points and then proceed to blend it all out while you apply your foundation. Girl meets Pearl from Benefit work wonders too with this method!
- Mixing your favorite BB cream with some moisturizer: If you already have a naturally dewy skin, why cover it up? Most of the time our skin looks healthier without make-up than with a full face of foundation and powder. This effect can look cakey and make you look older, so if you only want to boost your skin tone a little bit, mix your favorite BB cream with a moisturizer or primer that promotes healthy looking skin and you are good to go! You can always top it up with a little highlighter if you want that extra sparkle on your look.
- Using just primer and cream highlighter: If you already have a primer that makes your skin look superb, don’t lose this effect under layers of make-up. When using very few products on your face I always recommend using liquid or cream form highlighter, since I think that the powder one looks best on top of a full face of make-up while it can look a little ‘fake’ and ‘overdone’ on a natural looking skin. After your moisturizer, just prime your face (use one that reduces pores or redness and you’ll be looking fabulous) and then highlight your features with some cream highlighter. Blend it well with your fingers and work it onto the primer to make it look like the shine comes right through your skin.
- Mixing your moisturizer with liquid highlighter: As you can see it’s all about the mixing. Liquid highlighter is as versatile as that. If your moisturizer is one that leaves your skin so healthy looking that you don’t need make-up at all, mix it with some liquid highlighter and apply it as you normally would. The glow is guaranteed, just don’t exceed yourself with adding the highlighter! If you want to perk it up a little you can add some more highlighter to strategic points of your face and use some concealer to cover your dark circles. You’ll never look as youthful and natural!
If you have tried the trend and you’ve fallen in love, here you have some products specifically designed to achieve it:
- Extra Glow Skincare Palette from Bobbi Brown
- S.O.S Primer Booste l’éclat from Clarins
- Météorites Heart Shape from Guerlain
- Strobe Cream from M.A.C.
- Wash+Glow Cleanser from NIA
The Extra Tip
Always remember to use sunscreen, that protects your skin from getting wrinkles and dark spots sooner than you should (and obviously protects you against some serious skin problems). The key to this look is health and youth so search for a good sunscreen and start applying it every day if you are not already doing it. Yes, every day! Also, if your BB cream or usual moisturizer already has sunscreen on it, congratulations, you hit jackpot.
So this is it, I really hope you enjoyed this and you try the methods I shared if you like the ‘glow’ look! Do you think this is a trend that will last?
Share your opinions and looks!